Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Baby registry suggestions

So, this post is really for Liz (hi Liz!) who is due in just a couple months. I was going to write her an email but then decided to post this here so I can come back to it easily when I need to. Let me say, though, none of this stuff is absolutely necessary, just helped make things easier for us. We did have a colicy baby those that didn't stop crying for about four (six?) months, so there is that.

If I had to pick my top three things, I would say: a good sling, miracle blanket swaddler and breast feeding pillow. A noise machine (or hair dryer!) and bouncy seat are close runners up. Oh, and if you plan on breastfeeding, buy your pump in advance, get familiar with it and have it ready to use right away. (If breastfeeding is not your thing, you can just skip over that stuff on the list.)
I know lots of people who used those special carseat/stroller travel systems and were really happy with them. Kamelya was pretty much always in a sling for the first few months so we just used a convertible carseat from the beginning, which we are still using now. We are also using the same stroller we've had from the beginning which has worked out really well, especially for travel.
I listed the items below and then if I have a brand recommendation or explanation, I put that in parenthesis. I know it looks like a lot but i think it's best to have most this stuff on hand early on. I hardly left the house for the first couple months and it would have been almost impossible for me to go shopping with Kamelya early on.
One last thing, don't buy lots of newborn size clothes. In fact, don't buy much clothing at all because people will buy that for you. Just get soft cotton basics like socks, pjs and onsies that you may not get as gifts. Okay, here goes!
  • Bathtub (euro primo - we are still using it) 
  • Crib Mattress (we got an organic one from costco) 
  • Crib Bedding (we only really needed a couple fitted sheets) 
  • Bouncy Seat (bjorn 123 sitter) 
  • Sling (a fleece one from kangeroo corner was our favorite) 
  • Baby carrier (ergo or bjorn)
  • baby washcloths (lots of these)
  • large cotton receiving blankets (lots)
  • snap-front shirts 
  • Onsies with foldover hands 
  • Pants with feet 
  • socks (trumpette socks stay on well) 
  • One piece 'sleep'n play' type outfits
  • cotton bibs (they start drooling early on) 
  • Nipple cream (lanisoh)
  • Breast pads (for the first few weeks 
  • Baby lotion and wash (we have always used aveeno)
  • Stroller (we got a maclaren - lightweight and easy to maneuver.) 
  • Car sear (britax roundabout, used it with a snuzzler to prop her up when she was very little) 
  • Diaper Bag with lots of pockets (we used a skip hop but a backpack would be fine)
  • Highchair or booster chair (she has always sat in the same Fischer price booster seat)
  • Bumpo seat (was great when she was still learning how to sit up)
  • Dresser/changing table
  • Changing pad with covers (get a large contoured one)
  • Basic baby monitor
  • Rattle (they are into them very early on) 
  • Bottles (just a few small ones - check to make sure they contain no BPA) 
  • Breast pump (Medela Pump in Style)
  • Bags to store milk (lanisoh)
  • Vitamin D drops for baby (without iron) 
  • Diapers (pampers swaddlers are good)
  • Wipes (we used the costco brand ones)
  • Cotton hooded towel 
  • Nightie with buttons up the front for mama
  • Nursing pillow ('my breast friend' and two covers)
  • Nursing stool (cheap and helps make nursing more comfortable)
  • White noise machine (or just a loud hair dryer) 
  • Playmat (tiny love) 
  • Pack n play/co-sleeper/bassinet (for the first few months)
  • Couple sheets for pack n play or whatever you use
  • Swaddling blanket (miracle blanket is the best)
Did I forget anything? Do you have any other suggestions? Feel free to leave a comment!

Oh, and Liz, may you have a healthy, sweet, non-colicky baby! xo

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what a pretty smart smiley funny young girl you became my kaymak kizim.Your mom does not remember she too was a colicky baby.

BlueGriffin Consulting said...

Oh my beautiful friend! You are absolutely the best - thank you so much for putting such thought into this entry and the list. We are pouring over this right now... thanks pal! Love, Liz