Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Five months!

Dear sweet baby Kaan,

You are a dream baby. You make it easy and sweet and so much fun. These early days are going by so fast this time. I try to soak it all in but already miss how teensy you were just a few months ago.

I can't believe it but you have already started eating solid foods. Recently you had been showing a lot of interest in our meals, watching us eat and even trying to reach for our forks. Well, last weekend while we were in Greece for a little weekend getaway you saw your abla eating some pear and before we even knew what was happening you grabbed it from her hand and shoved it into your little mouth. Clearly you were ready! The next day we got an avocado and mushed it up a bit and let you try and you loved it! We got that avocado all over that fancy hotel room but we didn't mind one bit. Since then you've tried banana, pear and nectarine and loved then all. You sweet sister was not quite as enthusiastic an eater as you when she was little so I'm hoping you keep it up!

You are still nursing of course and mostly still prefer to nurse to sleep and nap in my arms. Sometimes I put you down in your crib but sometimes I keep you close and look at your pink cheeks and long eyelashes and fluffy blond hair. You have these huge smiling eyes which Kamelya describes as"bluish greyish" that are full of light and curiosity and sweetness.

Sometimes you do this bashful little thing were if we coo at you you sort of turn your head away to hide and then peak back with your eyes all aflutter. It's heartbreaking cute. You are a joyful baby, always laughing, and are generally just content to hang out with us. We go out to eat all the time because most of the time you are just happy to just be in our arms. The other night your daddy said, "he's not just happy, he looks amused" and it's true!

You are pretty tolerant of all our kisses which is a good thing because you are being kissed by one of us pretty much every moment you are awake, and sometimes even while you sleep. Your abla prefers your ears and toes. Daddy kisses you a lot of the top of your sweet head and I pretty much gobble up every part of you constantly, your chubby cheeks, the swirly spot on the back of your head, the rolls under your chin, your round belly, your plump thighs, your perfect little tiny hands, your pouty red lips... I cannot help myself, it is physically impossible.

You gobble yourself too! There is always either your fingers or toes in your mouth! Kamelya sometimes tried to take them out of there but I explain her her that they make you happy. So then she tries to stuff them right back in your mouth. You are surprisingly tolerant of this.

You like to chew on me these days too. You stuff my hand into your mouth and suck and slobber. Yesterday while you were chewing on my finger I told your abla, "aahh, he's eating me!" I should have know better for as soon as the words were our of my mouth he burst into tears. To comfort her, I brought you over to her but that just made you start crying. (whenever your abla cries, you get sad too). She leaned over and held onto you and you held on tight as she whispered something into your ear. Probably something like, "sometimes mama is crazy, don't worry, I'll take care of you."

You two already have this special relationship, totally independent of us. There is no one that can make you laugh like her and there is no she shows as much affection to as you. The way she talks to you is amazing: "oh my sweet boy, what would I do without you my cutiepie, my sweet pea."

There are big changes coming for our little family. We're leaving Kosovo in a couple weeks which is sad in may ways but I'm happy when I remember that because you were born here, we'll always be taking a piece of this place with us, wherever we go. My magical little Kosovar baby!

Love you,
Mama and Daddy































No comments: