Tuesday, December 9, 2008

You could eat her up with a spoon too

Hi there,

Selin suggested I share some of the recipes I mention on this site so here goes. I made this soup with Matt a few weeks ago and made him make it again very soon after. Matt calls it "French" because it's so good and creamy. I highly suggest you eat this with a hunk of nice crusty bread. 

The original recipe can be found here but this is my adapted version. All the amounts are definite approximations. I never actually measure much so instead of "one cup carrots", the recipe should say something like, grab a few carrots from the fridge and chop 'em up, however you want!

"French" Artichoke Soup

2 Tbsp butter

cup chopped carrots

cup chopped celery

cup chopped onion

cup sliced mushrooms

4 Tbsp butter

1/2 cup flour

3-4 cups chicken or veggie broth

7oz. can 1/4 cut marinated artichokes*

2 bay leaves

3/4 tsp salt

1/2 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp cayanne pepper

1/4 tsp thyme

1/2 tsp oregano

1 cup of milk (I use 1%,  original recipe called for heavy cream, whipped until frothy)

Melt the 2 tbsp butter in pot, then add carrots, celery, onion, and mushrooms. Saute 10 min (until soft) and set aside. Melt 3 Tbsp butter in same pot, then add flour and whisk together, simmering for about 5 mins. Add broth, sautéed veggies, artichokes (do not drain), and all seasonings. Simmer for 30-40 minutes. Lastly, add in milk, heat through (do not boil), and serve.

*I get the big jars of marinated artichokes from Costco so I don't measure this either. Just add as many artichokes as you want. 







1 comment:

SelinT said...

YEAH!!! I am excited to try this recipe. Thanks so much for sharing! (By the way, I love the pic of Kamelya- super cute!!!)